Wednesday, April 15, 2009

optimistic

Two weeks ago I took Ava to the doctor. My aunt brought to my attention that Ava should not be toe walking at the age of 3. She was diagnosed with a short achilles tendon. The first step is physical therapy. We went for an evaluation a week ago and the therapist said she also needs work on balance and other skills. Ava is now going to physical therapy twice a week. The therapist said they ideally like their dorsiflexion to be 20 degrees. Ava has 12 degrees on her right foot and 10 degrees on her left. Hearing that made me extremely concerned. However, her therapist said she feels very comfortable the therapy will work but also gives no promises. We will continue therapy for 6 weeks and reevaluate. If therapy doesn't work the next step is braces for her legs. And the final straw if that doesn't work is surgery. I'm praying it doesn't have to go to that extent.

I've racked my brain and questioned what happened. I'm so grateful to my aunt because I'm not educated about that aspect and I would have never thought to question her toe walking. I should have paid more attention when she was born. Ava was born a month early but was a healthy 6lbs 9oz. We were so happy that her lungs were good and we could take her home. From our joy I might have overlooked the one thing they questioned about her preterm birth. They had said her feet seemed underdeveloped. How that is possible, I have no idea. How they noticed, still I have no idea. But it does make me wonder if thats why her tendon is too short or if its just a coincidence. All this aside, Ava is a smart child. She is learning and growing every day.

We just took her 3 year portraits and in one photo we encouraged her to tip toe. Haha, our little ballerina.





No comments:

Post a Comment