Tuesday, April 21, 2009

military wife


You would think that growing up with a father who was in the Navy for 30 years would prepare me for the life style I live now. But nothing can quite prepare you for all the sacrifices and heartbreak a wife has to endure. Chris' first deployment came after we were married for a year. It was difficult because I was in a risky pregnancy and I wasn't capable of doing much. Thankfully my parents took care of me for the 3 months until he returned. I still missed him like crazy. I cried every night. My heart literally ached because I was without him. Since then we've only experienced being separated for a couple months at most. It was easier those times because he was in the states for training and we could talk every day and all day unless he was in class. But this deployment will be different. He is scheduled to leave in August for 4 months. Surprisingly I'm hoping he goes to Iraq. Iraq is more established and is actually safer. Phone calls and emails to each other might not be every day but more frequently if he were there. The other scenario is Afghanistan. He's not quite sure how Afghanistan will be but its more difficult flying because of the mountains, canyons, etc. We spoke to a friend who got back from Iraq in February and said the bombings and raids have significantly dropped since last year. His safety is my number one concern. Secondly, its my girls. They are too young to understand why daddy will have to be gone so long and why they can't talk to him every day. I don't want them to be disappointed. I don't want to see their hearts break. They love their daddy and miss him when he's on a long flight. I can't imagine how it will be for them to not see him for 4 months. And I can't even think about myself. To sleep in an empty bed every night. Wake up, take care of my girls, and experience things with them that he can't be a part of. Its times like these I want to pack up, get out, and go back home. But I support my husband and I commend him for his strength. We were in college when 9/11 happened. I remember Chris, Brian, and myself standing in the university center and watching the TV's. It was then Chris and Brian jokingly said they would join the military and kick some ass. At the end of that semester Chris didn't register for the next term. He joined the Air Force. When he went to Qatar it wasn't enough for him. Qatar aided the war, but it wasn't the war. He did recruiting and hated it. He said he felt like he wasn't really in the military sitting behind a desk. He wanted to matter, he wanted to leave, he wanted a job that meant more to him. As much as I rag about his job consuming so much time... how do you not love a man who has such integrity and ambition. He wouldn't be the man that I love if he wasn't volunteering to go. And so we enjoy the next few months before he leaves. Atleast he'll be home for Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my heart breaks for you b/c I know the pain, but as I got to the end of your post it speaks volumes of our military men. They join the military to make a difference. They want to be a part of making the US safe again for our children. And like Chris said, sitting behind a desk is not the way to do that. When yall were here, I asked Mike how (and why) did Chris get a desk job so soon. I felt like the desk jobs worked better for those who had already did their time in the field. Mike has been ALL OVER THE WORLD defending the states. I can't even list all of the places he's gone, but he did his time fighting for us, so a desk job came as a relief to him, and now that he's done his 20 yrs, he can retire without regret. In Chris' case, he wasn't given that chance to do what he joined the military to do, so now is his time. It's hard on the family. No doubt. If it were easy for you, then I'd be questioning your love for each other! It's going to be hard on the girls for sure. Go to the library on base and check out the books for kids about deployment. There's even one where Elmo's daddy has to leave for a while. It will help them to understand why Daddy is gone and why they can't talk to him every night. As for you, stay strong for the girls! I know you can. And I'll be in touch with you and see if Jayden and I can come out there and pay you and the girls a little visit :)

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete